Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

The daily card, weeks 22-23

 Yikes. I am failing just a bit on the regular blogging front. (And no one likes a blogger who keeps promising to come back while slowly fading away). I have been dragging my feet a bit about picking back up my routines - blogging, Bar Method, packing lunches for work. But I have been gardening, which always reminds me that the things that end up fulfilling me the most require at least a little bit of effort, and blogging is no different.

Moving on! I've been in a pink mood, apparently. I've also been in a drawing mood. This is in part thanks to a fairly disastrous but extremely entertaining Pictionary game in which I tried to draw Africa and it was unrecognizable as such to the person who is supposed to know me better than just about anyone. (I even drew Tunisia, Libya, and Algeria for extra clarity.) I can draw well enough when I'm looking in a picture online, but heaven help me if I have to conjure something up from thin air. But it gave me the itch to brush up my drawing skills, for sure.


So lately I've been a fan of simple illustrations on white backgrounds. The funny thing is, when I started gravitating towards these, I had the thought "am I allowed to do that?" Which is ridiculous because of course I am - no one is setting the rules for this but me. When I started this project, I envisioned it something mixed media-y and scrapbooky and layered, so drawing something on a blank white card seemed like it might be cheating a bit. But with a long-term creative challenge like this, I think flexibility is key. The framework keeps you going and the flexibility keeps you from getting totally bored or overwhelmed in the process.

As a creative challenge, I am decorating a playing card every day in 2015. More context on this project is here and you can see all past card posts here.

No comments:

Post a Comment